Blechnum penna-marina subsp. alpinum 'Cristatum'Ref.: BLECH 128
Family : Blechnaceae.
New name : Austroblechnum penna-marina subsp. alpinum 'Cristatum'
Creeping fern, finer and smaller than the species, slower growth. Evergreen sterile fronds, with crested apex; first brownish pink, then bronze-green, twice as small as the species. Numerous purplish fertile crested fronds emerge upright. It enjoys moist, acidic to neutral soils in light shade or sun, in a rockery. Height : 8/10cm. Hardiness : -25°C.
- Foliage : evergreen
- Height : less than 30cm
- Soil type : acidic, well drained
- Site : walls, rockery, fountain, rocks, banks, cool to moist
- Exposure : half shade, sun
- Shape : flat, ground cover
- Rhizome : creeping and branching
- Hardiness : down to -25°C (-13°F)