Polypodium vulgareRef.: POLYP 010
Origin : temperate zones of Europe and Asia.
Family : Polypodiaceae.
The lamina is relatively narrow, abruptly reduced at the apex, to a long nib. The young fronds appear in summer. The rhizome creeping on the surface. Although slow growing, it is a strong ground cover, for screes, banks, rockeries, in shade or partial shade, in a humusy, drained, acidic or chalky substrate. When planting, maintain the rhizomes on the soil's surface, don't bury them. Evergreen. Height : 25/55cm. Hardiness : -35°C.
- Foliage : evergreen
- Height : 30 to 60cm
- Soil type : any, well drained
- Site : walls, rockery, rocks, banks, temporarily dry, forest edge, dry to cool woods
- Exposure : shade, half shade, sun
- Shape : ground cover
- Rhizome : creeping and branching
- Hardiness : down to -30°C (-22°F)